Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I have been trained for the last time.....

.....until next fall, when I have to be trained on returning to America.

Anyway, my last training related to Morocco was last week, which is sad to say. I could tell you how I learned all these new and exciting things to do at my dar chebab, or how I learned that there are inflatable planetariums out there, but you all don't want to hear about that. (Actually, you probs want to hear about the inflatable planetarium. It's like one of those bounce house things except it's a planetarium. Apparently there's going to be a space camp in Bouznika this summer and some PCVs get to work there, and there are going to be Moroccan kids who went to space camp in Huntsville, Alabama, and it basically sounds like the coolest thing ever. I really want to go, but I don't have any kids from my site who I think would be interested in it, so instead I'm just going to regular old English immersion camp, which still sounds pretty freaking awesome. I mean, two weeks at the beach with a bunch of my friends and some teenagers, and I get to speak English the whole time. Thank you, taxpayers, for allowing me to live my fabulous life. Well, mostly fabulous. I've killed 8 cockroaches in the last 3 days. But still.)

But as I was saying, what you really want to hear about is how I fared during beach games, right? Well, unfortunately, the answer is not well. The Trilobytes, in spite of being highly diverse and geographically dispersed (is that what it was? I'm already forgetting) did not do so well in beach dodgeball. In our defense, I still believe the game was rigged. But we fought the good fight, and in the end, we were not the most losing team. I didn't actually take any pics, so I'm stealing this one from Margo who hopefully won't sue me:



Then, we progressed to the watermelon eating contest. The challenge: to eat 2 kilos of watermelon faster than the other competitors. These pics are stolen from the wonderful Jo Troyer, who hopefully also won't sue me:

Me with my 2 kilos of watermelon




I was ahead until the final minute. I don't know if any of you have ever eaten 2 kilos of watermelon in 7 minutes, but at some point, you start burping. A lot. And it's really difficult to eat while burping. Also, I got confused once I got close to the rind. Like, how close is close enough? Because I honestly leave a lot of pink stuff on there when I'm eating watermelon by myself, but I know my sister (and goats) will eat the rind. So yeah, I lost that one, too. Though if I have to lose, I'm glad I lost to Lacie.

So yeah, I'm all trained (in theory). Scary to think, as I feel like there's a lot I'm still learning. But inshallah, I'll figure it all out in due time. But for now, I've got to go finish cleaning my house for my mother's much anticipated visit! And when I say much anticipated, I don't just mean by me. My neighbor/Moroccan mother is super excited to meet my "American mother," as she once called her. I like to think that Shahla is my mother on all continents, but who am I to argue with someone who makes me bread and brings me apricots and lets me watch her TV like everyday because I'm too mskina to buy my own? Htta next time, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment