Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Six months!


Six months ago today, I landed in Casablanca, along with sixty-seven (?) other trainees, all tired and confused and still not really sure what the hell youth development is. Six months seems like an appropriate time for reflection, so here goes.

Things I've learned in the last six months:
-If you smile and nod a lot, people will like you. They'll think you're an idiot, but they'll still like you.
-If you can't tell what're you eating, don't ask.
-It really is possible to have stuff coming out of you at both ends at the same time. 
-Even when there's nothing in your stomach, it's still possible to have diarrhea.
-Anyone under the age of 7 doesn't care that you don't speak their language. In fact, one of my best relationships in this country was with a 4-year-old who, for almost a month, didn't seem to notice that I don't speak Arabic.
-People here are insanely generous. Seriously. Like I can't sit down next to someone on a train without them offering me half a sandwich or walk by someone's house around kaskrut time without being offered some tea or bread. Also, ever since they found out I don't have an oven, my neighbors got together and worked out amongst themselves a schedule for who is supposed to bring me bread on a given day. 
-Winnie the Pooh lied. Donkeys are not adorable. They are awful and loud, and they get way too close to my house and then won't shut up.
-Apparently you can bargain with the electric company about your electric bill. (Still not sure I actually believe this one, but my neighbor swears it's true.)
-Everything really does happen little by little.

I've been having some Internet troubles, so I guess that's the end of my reflections. Later days!



2 comments:

  1. aww, no wonder Eeyore had insecurity and depression. No one actually likes donkeys.
    What's Moroccan bread like? How's your Arabic? And the toilet situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love donkeys!!!! I can't believe you don't like their cute sad little faces. I feel I should start an organization for donkey rights. My favorite thing you've learned is the thing about the 4 year olds. sometimes i like to just sit next to little kids, bc it makes me feel so much better about myself. they don't make me say anything, they don't even need me to play. i just have to sit next to them and smile. i wish i had a 4 year old right now.

    ReplyDelete