Friday, April 1, 2011

I watch too much TV

As some of you may know, Boy Meets World is my second favorite show of all time. Even with my absurdly slow dial-up, I've been trying to download all the episodes so I can sit alone in my house and laugh hysterically. Problem is, while BMW is still the most hilarious thing ever, the older I am, the lamer they seem. (Not you, Rider Strong, if you're reading this. You're still awesome.) I mean, who goes to college and is roommates with their BFFL from HS and still dates the same girl and insists his BFFL has to stay with his gf because everything has to be the same? In my youth, I was all like, "Yeah, Cory, keep everything the same because Season 5 was awesome and everything should always be like that." But now, I'm just like, "Cory, you need to go out there and find yourself and let your friends find themselves. I mean, you have a poster of celery in your room. You've got no personality. What's the deal with that? Also, let's be real, Shawn's too cool to be hanging out with you anyway."

I like to think that we're constantly evolving as people and becoming better and better versions of ourselves. Or at least more genuine versions of ourselves, if not actually better. Ever since I started on this BMW kick a few weeks ago, I find it hard to watch any TV because characters never seem to evolve and are always in the same job, the same relationship, still afraid of commitment, basically still stuck in the exact same sitcom tropes. Is that really how life is? Does it take us 7 seasons of living before we can get up the nerves to make a major life change? And have I changed or evolved in the last 7 years, or am I just as bad as Cory and Topanga?

To quote Boy Meets World, "There's always gonna be an Eskimo standing in my way.....I'm my own worst Eskimo." (PS - If you haven't seen it, this is probs one of my top 5 fav episodes.) As I sit here, I'm just hoping that I'm not being my own worst Eskimo and holding myself back in any way. Here, it's really easy to just let opportunities for work pass me by and sit in my house and be on my absurdly slow Internet all day. My site is pretty small, and I have relatively few counterparts to work with, so even getting simple things to happen can be a struggle. (See: My sitemate and my Earth Day project, which we've been working on for 3 months and is still possibly not gonna happen.) Most days I can handle it, but there are definitely times where I find myself getting really irritated with how hard everything is here. But I like to set monthly goals for myself, so here's my goal for April: Embrace the struggle, don't get frustrated when everything falls apart, and when all else fails, watch more Boy Meets World because that show is freaking awesome even if the characters don't ever evolve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment